In order to reclaim land that were encroached by some residents in Mpape area of Abuja, Development Control Department (DCD) has carried out demolition of about thirty houses and other structures.
DCD officials accompanied by a joint security personnel early Monday stormed commenced the removal exercise over alleged encroachment on approved layout and road corridors in the area.
It was gathered that prior to the exercise, owners and occupiers of the affected structures were asked to vacate the place within seven days.
As expected, several affected persons were seen running up and down, trying to remove and salvage their wares, as the DCD bulldozer wrecked through structures bearing demolition notice dated August 30, 2019.
Most of the affected residents, who claimed ignorance of the alleged encroachment, complained about the the one-week demolition notice given them.
Speaking during the exercise, Assistant Director, with the Department of Development Control, Abuja Metropolitan Management Council (AMMC), Oyewale Oyedola, said said demolition was not the first time, as its officials had last two years carried demolition of structures on the same layout, and they still sprang up.
Oyedola, who led the team on behalf of the DCD Director, Murktar Galadima, said the removed structures were sitting on an approved layout and railway corridors traversing the area.
“Over three weeks ago, we gave them notices that they should vacate and start moving their valuables and they failed to do so. We had no other option that to come and start moving them.
“We had done the same demolition here and we have been telling them severally that they should not be buying lands from the local chiefs.
“We know areas that have been mapped out and granted approval as a layout, if such a thing is coming up, you can not close our eyes and say that we don’t see it. So, it is our work to make sure that the master plan is protected,” he stressed.
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 908 6937 780 or send i-witness report directly to me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entertainments2019.09.16Abusers of Abuja Recreation Parks to Face Tough Time – FCT Minister
- Crime2019.09.14FG Set to Implement Community Policing to Strengthen Internal Security
- News2019.09.13NGIJ Concludes Governance Investigative Tour to Bayelsa State
- News2019.09.13SA Xenophobia: FG Commends Air Peace 1st Batch of Evacuation of 178 Nigerians