Share This Story !
By Abdulrazaq Hamzat
Within the last one year, more than 40 convictions has been secured against cyber criminals in Nigeria, but many seems not to know.
This is why i find it strange that most people are speaking ill of Nigeria because of the recent report about some cyber criminals.
Before the U.S based Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) ever talked about arresting cyber criminals, Nigeria’s anti graft agency, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had already launched a crackdown on them, securing over 40 convictions and still prosecuting many more.
As Nigerians, this is what we should be telling the world, rather than feeling guilty for the crimes of the few.
We should be promoting the efforts of EFCC through our media and online engagements, rather than focus on spreading the negative.
It is important to note that, when we put the efforts of EFCC on the global map, by showing the world that Nigeria is actually leading the crack down on cyber criminals, not abetting it or waiting for foreign security agencies to lead the way, that’s what the world would take away from this episode.
They will understand that though, there are cyber criminals in the world, amongst which are Nigerians, but the Nigerian people are strongly such, as demonstrated by the efforts of EFCC to bring them to justice.
We must understand the power in our narratives. Rather than focus our energy in analysis the negative effect of the exposes, we should focus on telling the world about the positive accomplishment of Nigeria in dealing with internet scammers.
This is the best way to tell the Nigerian story, in the context of global narratives.
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 908 6937 780 or send i-witness report directly to me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- News2020.03.30COVID-19 pandemic: NOA is operating on zero budget – David Dogo
- News2020.03.30COVID-19: Those calling for leadership change at NOA are mischief makers – David Akoji
- News2020.03.30Idumuje -Ugboko: Leave Ned Nwoko Out Of Your Misfortune, Community Elders Tells Mischief makers
- Health and Life Style2020.03.30COVID-19: Group call on FG to pay 100 thousands to families