Connect with us

Politics

Slain Abuja Vendor’s Wife Disassociates Self From N500m Lawsuit, Sue For Justice

Published

on

Photo of Sahara Reporters Publishers, Omoyele Sowore after he was released with his friends Photo by @SaharaReporters
Share this Story
Waife of Abuja newspaper vendor killed by a security detail, Mrs Josephine Okereke, has disassociated herself from the N500 million compensation lawsuit.
 
Okereke told newsmen on Thursday in Abuja that she was not privy to the N500 million compensation requested by the family. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});
 
She said what was paramount now is how to get justice for her late husband.
 
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that on Nov. 23, a letter signed by Mr Mike Ozekhome (SAN), counsel to Okereke’s family, had demanded a N500 million compensation from the speaker.
 
The letter also stated that failure to comply with the N500 million demand within seven days would led to legal action against the Speaker.
 
She however said that the Speaker had since reached out to the family with a promise to take care of the children.
 
“Gbajabiamila carried my new born child when he came to our house and said he was not a speaker when he knew my husband.”
 
Okereke said that what she needed at the moment is justice and not N500 million, stressing that she will never be in support of the N500 million compensation.
 
The bereaved wife said the speaker had done what was unexpected of someone in authority with a promise to take care of the children education and other needs.
 
“I was in my house when within 10 minutes my father in-law came from Abia, he went out along with his other son and the next day I heard that my husband’s people are demanding N500 million as compensation.
 
“I was shocked and asked how will they be doing that and how will the speaker help the children again with such demand.
 
“All I want now is that the person that killed my husband to face justice, he was the bread winner of the family and he just secured a job with the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.
 
“But COVID-19 prevented him from resuming, it was the Minister, Dr Chris Ngige, that helped him secured the job, but since COVID-19 prevented him from resuming he went back to vendor so as to eke a living,” she said.
 
The 36-year-old mother of two said she was also a vendor when they both met in 2013 and the union had since produced two children.
 
NAN recalls that Ifeanyi Okereke, the vendor was shot in the head on Nov. 19 by a security detail attached toGbajabiamila when the speaker’s convoy passed through the Federal Secretariat.
 
Mr Wilfred Okoye, the Legal Adviser to Newspaper Association of Abuja (NPA), had condemned the death of Okereke by the security aide,  Abdullahi Hassan.
 
In an emotion laden voice, he said Okereke’s death was most painful, adding that the NPA is pained by the gruesome murder of the late vendor.
 
He called for justice to the bereaved family to serve as deterrent to other security details.
 
Okoye commended the speaker for the role played so far in assuaging the feelings of the family, expressing confidence that the Department of State Security that deployed Hassan to the speaker will do the needful.
 
“I have not seen such empathy by people in authority in my 12 years of legal practice, the Speaker should not be discouraged , he should put up the trust fund quickly to secure a future for the children,” said the lawyer.
 
He called on President Muhammadu Buhari to take immediate steps that would address overzealous security operatives in the country.(NAN)
ALSO READ  13 Facts About The General Election Postponement You Need to Know

Author Profile

Abdulrahman Obaje
Abdulrahman Obaje
Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on news@informavores.com.ng.
ALSO READ  Gambari’s appointment excites Governors – Fayemi
Latest entries
ALSO READ  Famurewa Admonishes Incoming Legislature on Project Continuity
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Another Massive Plan By APC To Rig Kogi Election Uncovered!

Published

on

By

Massive Plan To Rig Kogi Election Uncovered
Share this Story

Another massive plan by the APC (All Progressive Congress) to rig the upcoming election in Kogi State has been uncovered.

The plan was uncovered in an audio recording recorded in Igala language, that is widely circulated and received by the Informavores!

The message roughly translated is as follows:

“I thank you all and may the almighty God bless us all. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I am here to talk to you this evening amd thank you for all your efforts as you are listening to me from where ever you are listening to me, please forward this message so that every igala will hear what I am saying this evening.”

ALSO READ  2023: "Tinubu Championing Modern democracy with power of delegation" - Senator Kalu

“As I am talking to you, it is not up to 2 minutes that I finished calling to Ankpa. It is a calling between me and the coordinator. He said that what he wanted to tell me before I called him is that the presiding officers this afternoon hinted him and that he is going to confide in me that everybody should be ready.”

“That during the upcoming voting, their plan is that they would just thumb print without capturing, therefore, when the voting is in excess without capturing(photograph), they would then cancel the polling unit. That is what he just told me. And I said I would make sure that this information is circulated among everybody online this night.”

ALSO READ  FG committed to address IDPs challenges - Gbajabiamila

“It is the Presiding officer that told him this afternoon and he is relaying it to me to make sure that I tell everybody that this is the plan of APC in Ankpa where they are going to vote in Ankpa. That they will photograph, so that all the votings in Ankpa will not count.”

“This is the message that reached me this night and I said I would tell people on air. Please forward this message so that everybody would here. Let us be at alert and make sure that our votes count, let us monitor the BVAS. “

“Thank you all and God bless you all.”, it concluded.

Off season elections is scheduled to take place in Bayelsa, Imo and Kogi States. Coming November 11th, 2023. 

ALSO READ  Famurewa Admonishes Incoming Legislature on Project Continuity

Find the audio recording below.

Continue Reading

Politics

PEPC: PDP Atiku Appears As Parties Set To Adopt Written Addresses

Published

on

By

PDP Atiku at the Presidential Election Petition Court
Share this Story
As the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP and other parties were set to adopt their final written addresses, the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Abubakar Atiku, was at the Presidential Election Petition Court, (PEPC) on Tuesday 1st August 2023 . adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});
 
The  Justice Haruna Tsammani-led five-member panel of the court had on the last adjourned date directed parties to prepare their final briefs of argument and appear before it to adopt .
 
The adoption of final addresses is the precursor to fixing a date for judgment in the petition of Atiku and the PDP challenging the outcome of the Feb. 25 presidential election.
 
The court, in a notice  to the parties, invited them to adopt their written address with respect to the petition filed against President Bola Tinubu and Vice -President Kashim Shettima, praying the court to nullify their election.
 
recall that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), had on March 1, announced that Tinubu of the ruling All Progressives Congress, (APC), won the presidential election  ahead of 17 other candidates that participated in the contest.
 
It declared that Tinubu scored 8,794,726 votes to defeat the two major contenders,  Atiku of the PDP, who came second with 6,984,520 votes, and Mr Peter  Obi of the Labour Party, who came third with 6,101,533 votes.
 
However, dissatisfied with the outcome of the election, both Atiku and Obi approached the court to invalidate the result.
 
The duo, in their separate petitions, claimed that they won the presidential poll, even as they challenged Tinubu’s eligibility to contest the election.
 
The petitioners are praying the court to nullify the election and order a fresh presidential election, with the exclusion of President Tinubu whom they argued was ab-initio, not qualified to participate.
ALSO READ  FG committed to address IDPs challenges - Gbajabiamila
Continue Reading

Politics

Oyo LG Poll: APC Confirms Readiness To Participate

Published

on

By

All Progressive Congress, APC
Share this Story

The Oyo State All Progressives Congress (APC) has expressed readiness to participate in the forthcoming local government council election in the state.

This was disclosed by the publicity secretary of Oyo APC, Olawale Sadare, to newsmen on Saturday 29th, July 2023 in Ibadan. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Sadare noted that the decision was reached at the weekend when its leadership conveyed a stakeholders meeting,  where majority opinion was in support of the party fielding candidates for the council poll.

“The unanimous decision at the stakeholder meeting held at our state secretariat was that we would participate in the election with a view to winning most of the available seats in the local government areas and local council development areas.

ALSO READ  Son of Late Former Governor Audu in Kogi Promises to Continue Father's Legacies

“I can assure you that by the time we are done with our final round of consultation on or before Monday, we would roll out schedule of activities since OYSIEC has written to us about the extension of the deadline for the conduct of primary which is now Aug. 31, 2023.

“We are progressives in politics and we are always ready to play our part as democrats. Don’t forget that the main duty of political parties is to field candidates in major elections.

ALSO READ  13 Facts About The General Election Postponement You Need to Know

“We have had to face serious pressure from party faithful who want to contest and serve the masses at the grassroots as council chairmen and councilors, “he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) reports that the Oyo State Independent Electoral Commission has announced the time table for the council election slated for April 2024.

OYSEIC in the announcement also gave political parties permission to begin electioneering activities including party primaries to produce their respective chairmanship and councilorship candidates.

ALSO READ  FG committed to address IDPs challenges - Gbajabiamila
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Copyright © 2021 Informavores Nigeria Communication Enterprises | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc