One Year After, Family Cries For Justice Over Slain NSCDC Officer In FCT

A year after their son was murdered in cold blood; the family of Engr. Yakubu Attah is yet to get justice as the scar of the sudden demise of their son remains indelible in their hearts.

CSC Aku Attah ,an officer of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), was shot by suspected kidnappers in  October 2019  on his way from  work along Pegi Road, a resettlement area in Kuje Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

Attah ,  until his death,served at the Headquarters of the NSCDC along the Airport road. He was on his way to his residence at  Pegi after closing from work on that fateful day  when  gunmen dressed in military camouflage opened fire on his vehicle,  and   also abducted 10 persons including  a 12-year-old boy who was returning from school in the area. adsbygoogle || []).push({});

The 44- year-old who was the first son and second child of his parents later died barely a forthnight after the attack, at the Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital where he was receiving treatment.

He is survived by children, siblings and parents.He was surrounded by loved ones at the hospital until he gave his last breath, an episode that has remained like a scar that can never be removed from their memories. 

Although, the abducted residents of Pegi were reportedly released upon the payment of ransom, the killers of the NSCDC officer are yet to be brought to book one year after.

However, the family of Attah has urged the Inspector General of Police and the FCT Commissioner of Police to ensure that the killers of their son are fished out and made to face the wrath of law.

They also called on the Federal Government, especially the Hon. Minister of Interior Rauf Aregbesola, who supervises the NSCDC, to ensure that their son who died in active service to fatherland is immortalized.

Speaking to newsmen in Abuja, Mrs Rhoda Dandaura, elder sister to the slain officer, shared the ordeal her late brother experienced in his last days on earth and the devastating impact his demise has left on the entire Attah’s family.

She recounted how the late officer was moved from one hospital to another because of lack of bed spaces and some other reasons while he was soaked in his blood.

She said: “October 2019 will forever remain a dark month for Aku’s loved ones.   He had spent his weekend visiting his parents in Minna and travelled back to Abuja before proceeding to his office at NSCDC Headquarters on Airport Road.

“That fateful morning in Minna, his vehicle that was in perfect condition refused to start, and after it was checked by a mechanic, he proceeded on his journey to Abuja, not knowing that would be his last visit to his family.

“I remember it was a rainy day, and I called him around 6:30 pm to know how his day went and how our parents were faring.

“I told him twice to pass the night at our younger sister’s house  along the Airport road, since it was raining and a bit late, considering the nature of the Pegi-Kuje road, but he chose to go home so that he could  have a change of uniform and resume work early the following morning.

She shared how the officer, after he was shot, was taken from the National Hospital to the Federal Medical Centre in Jabi, and then finally to Gwagwalada Teaching  Hospital where he died after staying over one week at the  Intensive Care Unit (ICU.

According to her, “Aku showed signs of improvement and he even narrated how the incident happened. He fought death and struggled to live, but he could not make it.

“I strongly believe that if our healthcare facilities are good and one does not have to  be moved from one hospital to another even in emergency situations, my brother would have survived,” she added.

She expressed concerns that although the relevant Government Authorities made promises on measures to ameliorate the impact  the late officer’s demise brought on his family, such promises were yet to be fulfilled.

She however commended the Comptroller General of the NSCDC, Abdullahi Gana Muhammadu for his kind gestures towards the family of the slain officer in his capacity as his boss.

Also, the father of the slain officer, EngrYakubu Attah expressed displeasure that the killers of his son were yet to be apprehended and prosecuted despite repeated calls by the family.

He lamented that if a security officer saddled with the onerous task of protecting lives and properties could be killed without recourse then the society was no longer safe. 

“The reports of kidnapping and killings across the country, and even in the FCT, are a clear indication that insecurity still remains a major threat to Nigerians.

 “The Authorities should take steps to ensure that such incidents are reduced to the barest minimum, and for justice to be done.

“We are yet to see justice done, because as far as we are concerned we are not aware that the killers of my son have been arrested and prosecuted.

“My late son was like an electric circuit that connected all of us together and we miss him so much,” he said.

Author Profile

Abdulrahman Obaje
Abdulrahman Obaje
Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on

ALSO READ  PDP Responsible for Insurgency, Insecurity - Mani

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *