Share This Story !
A Kogi State High Court in Lokoja on Thursday 27th February, 2020 declared the impeachment of Simon Achuba, former deputy governor by the Kogi State House of Assembly as null and void.
The Court also said, the nomination of Mr.Edward Onoja as Achuba’s replacement was unprocedural.
The landmark judgement was delivered by Justice John Olorunfemi, saying that Achuba’s removal from office by the Assembly is a violation of the constitution.
Justice Olorunfemi added that the actions and subsequent nomination of another person to the office by the lawmakers was null and void, while describing the action of the State House of Assembly as a constitutionai coup.
He further explained that the action is contrary to Section 188 subsection 8, a section that stopped the Assembly from further action having discovered that the former deputy governor was not found wanting by the panel.
The Judge said the onus to produce the remaining volumes of the report purported to have indicted the former deputy governor rest with the defendants which they failed to do.
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- News2020.10.20One Year After, Family Cries For Justice Over Slain NSCDC Officer In FCT
- News2020.10.15#EndSARS: Complete Police Reform Is The Way To Go – NGIJ President
- News2020.10.01Nigeria@60: NGIJ President Greets, Nigerians, Pledges Commitment Towards Investigative Journalism
- Oil and Gas2020.08.30NCDMB, ITF train 255 youths in vocational skills