Share This Story !
The minister of science and technology, Dr. Ogbonanyan Onu, yesterday applauded the Nigerian Army of its board steps taken to be self reliance in the area of research and innovations in the country.
The minister said this on Wednesday in Abuja while inspecting some combat and support equipment showcased by the Nigerian Army at Abuja international trade fair.
According to Dr. Onu, one of the key area thatself reliance is crucial is in national security which the Nigerian Army has consistently portrayed.
Dr. ONU said The efforts and achievement of the NA in its research and development and innovation had raised hope for the this country to be great.
“I am overwhelmed by what I have seen here because it gives me so much hope for our dear nation.
“For too long we have depended on other countries to meet our basic needs but with all these, we can no longer do so. We can only improve, we can’t degenerate”.
He therefore promised to collaborate and cooperate with the army as well as provide all the necessary support in all areas necessary to advance the initiative.
“The federal ministry of science & tech will collaborate and provide all necessary support to the army in this wonderful, local research efforts.
“We are so proud of our men and women in uniform. Yes we urge every Nigerian to be patriotic but you (Army, our men in uniform) have gone one step higher to put your life on the line for the nation. So every Nigerian must support our men in uniform’.
Earlier while unveiling the equipments at the ongoing 2019 Abuja International Trade Fair, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai said the aim of the initiative was to enhance its operational capability in fighting insecurity as well as discouraging the importation of logistics into the country to be self reliant.
Buratai explained that “It is worthy to note that most of the requisite materials are imported which not only drain our foreign reserves but also impart negatively on the operational efficiency of the Nigerian army due to their leap time.
“There is therefore need for a sustained investment in research development on military hardware to reduce the over dependent on importation of logistics in general to shore up the army capability towards mitigating contemporary security challenges”.
Among other equipments showcased were, 10 KVA fueless generator which have the capacity to work for two months without service, Mines Resistance Anti Ambush protected vehicles, Ijodo tractor, Mobile Borehole Drilling Machine, Bullet proof Van, as well as uniforms and all locally produced by the Command Engineering Depot in collaboration with Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria.
Other dignitaries in attendance includes; government functionaries, top military officers, senate chairman on army, representative of the Inspector General of police,among others.
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on email@example.com.
- News2020.12.10Attah Igala: Ambassador Godbless Charges Igalamela Royal Council to Fast Track Installation Process
- Interviews2020.12.06How Helping an Out of School Boy Spur Me into NGO Work – Lidwine
- Article2020.12.03AfCFTA: Spotlighting The Emergence Of One African Market
- Religious2020.11.29Maolid Nabiy: Emulate Leadership Style of Prophet Muhammad – Imam Aliagan To Nigerian Leaders