In a bid to upgrade personnel knowledge on the rules and processes of target selection and respect for human rights the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, on Monday 23rd September 2019 flagged off 5- day workshop on respect for human rights, legal aspects of Air targeting.
The workshop organised by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) in collaboration with the Defence Institute of International Legal Studies (DIILS), began today, 23th September, 2019 at the NAF Officers’ Mess, Kado in Abuja.
The CAS, who was represented by the Chief of Administration Headquarters NAF, Air vice Marshall Kingsley Lar, while declaring the workshop open explained that workshops on the Law of Armed Conflict and other legal issues were of critical importance to NAF operations.
He disclosed that the training was being held pursuant to the resolutions of the 2019 Edition of the NAF Legal Officers’ Retreat which highlighted the need to continually sensitize NAF personnel directly involved in ongoing operations, on compliance with International Human Rights Law and the Law of Armed Conflict.
According to him, the Workshop was an undeniable proof of the fact that the USA is a dependable development partner of Nigeria.
Adding that a number of NAF officers had benefited from training opportunities offered by the DIILS. According to him, the latest of such trainings was the course on Legal Aspects of Defence Support of Civil Authority conducted between 17 July and 8 August 2019.
Mr. Garrett Vanpelt, the representative of the DIILS, on his part said the Workshop, which is the first of its kind, would afford the NAF the opportunity to train enough personnel to effectively carry out their constitutional roles in line with international best practices.
On the first day of the Workshop, papers on “Observing and Respecting Human Rights and Civilian Authority”; “African Charter on Human and People’s Rights”; “Right Against Torture and other Cruel Inhuman or Degrading Treatment” and “Gender Violence and Human Trafficking in International Law”, were presented by resource persons drawn from the US Military.
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 908 6937 780 or send i-witness report directly to me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- News2019.10.06Building Igala Unity House in the FCT, Our Top Priority – Enejoh Attah
- News2019.10.03PMB Has Done Well in Addressing Pervasive Corruption – High Commissioner
- Crime2019.09.26NA Commended For Research and Technological Know-how, Showcase Equipment
- News2019.09.26Minister Reassures Nigerians of Measures to Tackle Floods