Connect with us

Sports

English Premier League clubs to resume training from Tuesday

Published

on

English Premier League
Share this Story

Premier League clubs will return to training on Tuesday after agreeing to allow “small group” sessions to begin, the first step on the road to a return to competitive action.

The league held a conference call for all 20 clubs on Monday where the move was given unanimous backing. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});

It is the first move in the league’s `Project Restart’ plans to restart play in the league, which has not held a game since March 9 due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Failure to resume the season could cost the league around 750 million pounds (913.80 million dollars) in lost revenue from broadcasters, according to British media estimates.

Some reports said clubs could lose out even if the league restarts should broadcasters demand a 330 million pounds rebate.

“Premier League Shareholders today voted unanimously to return to small group training from tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon —- the first step towards restarting the Premier League, when safe to do so,” the league said in a statement.

ALSO READ  Six teams to Slug It At  NSK Polo Tournament, In Argungu 2021 World Tourism Celebration

“Step One of the Return to Training Protocol enables squads to train while maintaining social distancing. Contact training is not yet permitted,” it added.

The Government last week opened the door for the return of elite sport.

But several hurdles remain before the Premier League can resume behind closed doors with the aim of completing the remaining 92 matches of the season.

Clubs will have been encouraged, however, by the return of the Bundesliga at the weekend —- the first major football league in the world to resume after the lockdown.

Project Restart was originally looking at a June 12 resumption date.

But should the clubs agree and, if there is no rise in infections in the country, a return date of June 19 or June 26 appears the most likely.

However, the prospect of clubs playing their remaining matches at neutral venues has receded with more than half speaking out against such a proposal.

ALSO READ  Legend FC Lifts Maiden Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi FCT Unity Cup

The league said the decision to return to `group training’ had been taken in consultation with players, managers, Premier League club doctors, independent experts and the government.

“Strict medical protocols of the highest standard will ensure everyone returns to training in the safest environment possible,” it added.

“The health and well-being of all participants is the Premier League’s priority, and the safe return to training is a step-by-step process.

“Full consultation will now continue with players, managers, clubs, the PFA (Professional Footballers’ Association) and LMA (League Managers Association) as protocols for full-contact training are developed,” the statement added.

Safety measures are expected to include tents where temperature checks will be conducted, strict hygiene criteria, no canteens and no showers.

A maximum of five players will be allowed per pitch, with tackling forbidden.

Players will be tested twice a week and are being asked to provide written approval that they have received and understood the club’s COVID-19 policy.

ALSO READ  Park wins in golf’s return to action in South Korea

Credit: Reuters/NAN

Author Profile

Yusuf Adam
Yusuf Adam is student of knowledge, a cyber security consultant and a member of board for the Merciful Hearts Foundation for Widows and Orphans.
The world can be a better place if we all care for the less privileged and kill our personal greed. Let drops of the milk of mercies from your heart change someone's life positively today

Sports

Legend FC Lifts Maiden Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi FCT Unity Cup

Published

on

Maiden-Edition-of-Adedayo-Benjamins-Laniyi-FCT-unity-football-championship-on-Saturday-in-Abuja
Share this Story
FCT Unity Football Championship ended in Abuja on Saturday 29th July 2023 with Legend FC of AMAC defeated Maracana FC of Kwali 2-1 to lift the maiden Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi FCT.
 
The grand finale played at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja signalled the end of a month-long competition among teams from the six area councils of FCT. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});
 
Kelechi Francis of Legend FC opened scoring in the 38th minute before Sheriff Idris of Maracana FC restored parity for the Kwali boys on resumption of the second half in the 47th minute.
 
Francis, however, sealed victory for the Legend boys with a clean finish in the 52nd minute, to ensure a 2-1 victory for Legend FC.
 
Earlier in the third place match, Kickers FC defeated N-Youth FC 5-4 on penalties, after regulation time ended 2-2.
 
Mrs Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi, organiser of the championship, told NAN after the match that the competition was organised to foster unity and discover grassroots talent scattered across the FCT.
 
The media entrepreneur and former All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial aspirant for FCT, said sports could serve as a veritable tool for empowering Nigerian youth and promoting unity in the country.
 
“This inaugural competition is meant to engage our youth and promote unity in the country, starting with  FCT.
 
“If there is no unity, there cannot be a nation. So, we are trying to use sports to bring about positive change, get our youths off the streets, and build a great nation,” she said.
 
Benjamins-Laniyi said ex-internationals such as Kanu Nwankwo and Femi Ajilore were selected as ambassadors of the competition to give inspiration and mentorship to young talents discovered at the competition.
 
NAN reports that 80 teams comprising 1,200 players took part in the tourney from the preliminary round to the finals.
ALSO READ  Returning to matches, no riskier than leaving home for any other reason - Messi

Author Profile

Abdulrahman Obaje
Abdulrahman Obaje
Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media, Information and Computer Technology Consultant. A quintessential Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist is based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on news@informavores.com.ng.
ALSO READ  Banja Luka Exit: Djokovic said hopeful of hitting top form on clay
Latest entries
ALSO READ  Legend FC Lifts Maiden Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi FCT Unity Cup
Continue Reading

Sports

Women’s World Cup Kicks-off, Amidst Auckland Shooting

Published

on

Fifa Women World Cup 2023
Share this Story

The largest women’s World Cup on kicked off on Thursday 20th July, 2023  in Auckland after a fatal shooting earlier in the day.

Co-hosts New Zealand and former champions, Norway kicked off the women’s World Cup on Thursday in Auckland, after a short opening ceremony. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});

A minute silence was observed for the victims of a shooting earlier in the day in the city.

The short ceremony at Eden Park had the indigenous people of host nations Australia and New Zealand at its centre, while singers Benee and Mallrat did the official tournament song “Do It Again.”

ALSO READ  Celtic emerge champions, Hearts relegated as Scottish season ends

The World Cup trophy was presented before the two teams kicked off the biggest women’s World Cup. The contestants were increased to 32 teams from 24 at the last edition 2019 in France.

Australia were set to play Ireland in the opening day’s other game.

Two-time reigning and record four-time overall champions U.S. are the top favourites, with other contenders including two-times winners, Germany and European champions Germany.

The World Cup which runs until 20th August 2023 started under a cloud of the shooting earlier in the day in which three people died – including the suspected gunman, with five others injured.

ALSO READ  Basketball: Nigeria’s Men Basketball League Come Alive After Years In Hibernation

Football’s governing body FIFA said later that the opening game would “proceed as planned”, and the added minute silence was impeccably observed at Eden Park. (dpa/NAN)

Author Profile

Abdulrahman Obaje
Abdulrahman Obaje
Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media, Information and Computer Technology Consultant. A quintessential Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist is based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on news@informavores.com.ng.
Continue Reading

Sports

Banja Luka Exit: Djokovic said hopeful of hitting top form on clay

Published

on

Share this Story

The world number one tennis player, Novak Djokovic has said he was still hopeful of finding his groove on clay before next month’s French Open.

The Serb revealed this as he was far from his best in his quarter-final defeat to Dusan Lajovic at the Srpska Open. adsbygoogle || []).push({}); adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Djokovic had dropped just four games across his previous two meetings with compatriot Lajovic.

He had missed several chances to get past his opponent on Friday, converting just one of 16 breakpoints as he fell to a 6-4 7-6(6) defeat.

The loss is Djokovic’s second early exit from a tournament in as many weeks, following his third-round defeat to Lorenzo Musetti at the Monte Carlo Masters last week.

ALSO READ  RSDF, Naija Ratels Congratulate Ilerika Over Sports Award

“Lajovic played well. On the other hand, I played much worse than I wanted to,” Djokovic told reporters after the defeat in Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

“I cannot win matches against opponents who are this solid on this surface by playing like this.

“I didn’t feel well on the court, my legs were slow and my footwork was torpid, many missed shots, totally without direction. I played well at times but I played noticeably under my level.”

With Rafa Nadal having skipped a string of clay tournaments due to injury, Djokovic will be looking to build momentum ahead of the French Open where the Serbian will target a 23rd Grand Slam to go ahead of the Spaniard.

The French Open, the second Grand Slam of the season, begins on May 28.

ALSO READ  Basketball: Nigeria’s Men Basketball League Come Alive After Years In Hibernation

“I hope to get into tip top shape for Roland Garros. I want to play my best tennis there,” said Djokovic, who has also been struggling with an elbow injury.

“The conditions are totally different there in comparison with Monte Carlo and Banja Luka. There are still several weeks to practice and play.

“In the previous seasons, I’ve always had an unsatisfying and slow start on clay and then played much better tennis in the final stages.

“I hope to repeat the same pattern this year.” (Reuters/NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Author Profile

Abdulrahman Obaje
Abdulrahman Obaje
Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media, Information and Computer Technology Consultant. A quintessential Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist is based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 805 939 5252 or send i-witness report directly to me on news@informavores.com.ng.
Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Copyright © 2021 Informavores Nigeria Communication Enterprises | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc