News
Girls’ Education: Kano Govt Disburses N1bn For Projects – Official
The Kano State Government has so far released more than N1.02 billion for girls’ education related projects in its 2022 budget.
Hajiya Mairo Bello, the Co-chair, Girl Education Partnership, an NGO, made this known in Kano on Saturday, at the dissemination of the Kano State 2022 girl education budget performance with citizens and relevant stakeholders. com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the dissemination was supported by Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL), a governance programme of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).
Bello explained that while N868.6 million was released for girls’ specific budget lines, N155.5 million were released for both boys and girls related education projects.
She said that of the N868.6 million, N32.9 million was for feeding, N116.6 million for transitional examination, N177.6 million for National Examination Council, and N90 million for National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies examination.
Others, she said, included N12 million for the State Agency for Mass Education, while N132 million was released for renovations of girls’ secondary schools.
She added that N12.5 million was also released for repairs of shuttle buses for transportation of girls to school, under the state’s Girl Education Project.
She particularly commended the state government for the release of 12.5 million for the repair of 20 shuttle buses for the transportation of girls to schools within the metropolitan towns of the state.
She explained that the development was the result of consistent advocacy to government agencies by citizens groups to push for increased investment on girls’ education.
“This is a milestone for us, because the shuttle buses will support in transporting girls from poor households to school at no cost.
“This will significantly increase girls’ access to education by removing transportation and distance barriers.
“It also provides security as a safety measure by taking the girls from their homes to school and returning them back to their houses safely.
“This, in the long run, will increase girls’ school enrolment, retention, transition, and completion,” she said.
She said that an analysis of the 2021 budget supported by PERL, shows that only three per cent of the total state budget was specific to girls’ interventions.
This, she said, prompted the citizens group to conduct series of advocacies to relevant government agencies to increase budgetary allocation for specific girls’ education interventions.
According to her, the advocacy yielded significant results with the creation of budget lines for girls’ education projects in the state.
Bello said that one of the budget lines was N20 million for the purchase of 10 shuttle buses for Girl Education within eight metropolitan local government areas and repair of 20 grounded vehicles for the girl education pppproject.
“Another budget line was N20 million for the construction of and rehabilitation of toilets for children and students with special needs in girls’ schools across the three Senatorial Zones in the state.
“A total of N50 million was also allocated to enhance inclusive education for girls with disabilities across the state and N120 million for the recruitment of female teachers for basic and secondary schools.
“Similarly, N15 million was allocated for the construction of blocks of classrooms, provision of furniture, instructional materials, and supply of buses for girls in primary and secondary schools,” she said.
She explained that of all the allocations amounting to N225 million, N12.5 million had been released for repair of shuttle buses.
She also said that a memo for the release of N100 million for the recruitment of female teachers and N19.6 million for the renovation of toilet facilities in girls’ schools were being processed for releases.
Earlier, Hajiya Hajara Suleiman, PERL State Partnership Facilitator in the state, said that the objective of the meeting was to provide an overview and update on the girl education budget.
She added that the meeting was also organised to disseminate findings from the relevant ministries, departments and agencies with girl specific education projects.
“The meeting was also organised to identify possible ways for further engagement with stakeholders that will facilitate budget releases and implementation of girls’ education projects,” Suleiman said.
NAN
Author Profile

Latest entries
NewsJuly 15, 2026NGIJ Demands Independent Probe of Controversial PFIPC, Rejects Premature Exoneration
NewsJuly 1, 2026MeCure Industries Plc Closes H1 2026 with Stable BBB GCR Outlook, Halal Certification, Launches New Product
NewsJune 29, 2026Family Seeks Information on Missing Sergeant After Reported Drowning Incident at Seme Border
NewsJune 12, 2026June 12: Ajia Congratulates Tinubu, AbdulRazaq, Calls for Youth Inclusion and Grassroots Development
News
NGIJ Demands Independent Probe of Controversial PFIPC, Rejects Premature Exoneration
NGIJ Demands Independent Probe of Controversial PFIPC, Rejects Premature ExonerationThe Nigerian Guild of Investigative Journalists (NGIJ) has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to immediately constitute an independent panel of inquiry to investigate the unfolding scandal surrounding the controversial Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC), insisting that the gravity of the allegations and the institutions reportedly involved make an ordinary investigation inadequate.
In a statement jointly signed by its National President, Mallam Abdulrahman Aliagan, and National Secretary, Rowland Olonishuwa, the Guild faulted the Presidency’s swift public exoneration of the Chief of Staff to the President by the President’s spokesman, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, describing it as premature and inconsistent with the principles of natural justice.
According to the Guild, declaring any public official innocent before the conclusion of an impartial investigation undermines public confidence in the process and creates the impression that the outcome has already been predetermined.
“The hasty exoneration of any public official before a comprehensive investigation has been concluded negates the principles of justice, fairness and good conscience.
Every Nigerian deserves to see that justice is not only done but is manifestly seen to have been done,” the statement said.
NGIJ said the controversy surrounding the controversial Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council (PFIPC) has become one of the most significant governance scandals in recent years, alleging that the sequence of events surrounding the Council points to a level of official backing that requires a truly independent investigation.
The Guild argued that several developments associated with the Council have raised serious questions that cannot be ignored.
According to the statement, available information indicates that an account was reportedly opened for the Council at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the controversial PFIPC was reportedly captured in the 2026 Appropriation Bill presented to the National Assembly, office accommodation was allocated to the Council within the Federal Secretariat Complex in Abuja, and more than 300 personnel, including eight directors, were reportedly recruited or sourced to work for the Council.
NGIJ noted that these developments, if established through investigation, suggest that the activities attributed to the Council went far beyond the actions of a few individuals and may have involved approvals or support from influential actors within government.
“The establishment of banking arrangements, budgetary provisions, office allocation, recruitment of hundreds of personnel and appointment of directors are not processes ordinarily executed without official authorisation and institutional support. These issues raise legitimate public interest questions that deserve thorough and independent scrutiny,” the Guild stated.
It added that the scale of the allegations has created widespread public concern and, if left unresolved, could erode confidence in Nigeria’s governance institutions and anti-corruption framework.
The Guild expressed reservations over allowing the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to solely investigate the matter, arguing that given the alleged involvement of powerful figures and the institutional implications of the case, a broader and more independent mechanism would inspire greater public confidence.
According to NGIJ, the investigation should be handled by an independent judicial panel comprising retired judicial officers, forensic auditors, representatives of relevant anti-corruption institutions, professional bodies and civil society organisations, with full powers to examine documents, invite witnesses and recommend appropriate actions based on its findings.
The Guild further urged the National Assembly to commence a public legislative inquiry into the establishment, funding, operations and legal status of the controversial Presidential Foreign Investment Promotion Council.
It maintained that no public official, irrespective of rank or political influence, should be insulated from investigation where credible allegations exist.
NGIJ stressed that the circumstances surrounding the controversial PFIPC have made the matter unprecedented and deserving of the highest level of independent scrutiny.
The Guild said only a transparent, credible and independent investigation can establish the true facts, identify any wrongdoing where it exists, protect innocent persons where appropriate, and restore public confidence in the administration’s commitment to accountability, transparency and the rule of law.
Author Profile

Latest entries
NewsJuly 15, 2026NGIJ Demands Independent Probe of Controversial PFIPC, Rejects Premature Exoneration
NewsJuly 1, 2026MeCure Industries Plc Closes H1 2026 with Stable BBB GCR Outlook, Halal Certification, Launches New Product
NewsJune 29, 2026Family Seeks Information on Missing Sergeant After Reported Drowning Incident at Seme Border
NewsJune 12, 2026June 12: Ajia Congratulates Tinubu, AbdulRazaq, Calls for Youth Inclusion and Grassroots Development
News
MeCure Industries Plc Closes H1 2026 with Stable BBB GCR Outlook, Halal Certification, Launches New Product
By AbdulRahman Obaje
Lagos, Nigeria — July 2026 — MeCure Industries Plc closed the first half of 2026 on a strong note, marked by the affirmation of its national scale issuer ratings by GCR Ratings, the award of Halal certification, and the launch of two new products.
adsbygoogle || []).push({});
GCR Ratings affirmed MeCure Industries Plc’s long-term issuer rating at BBB(NG) and short-term issuer rating at A3(NG), with the company’s long-term outlook revised to Stable. The rating agency said the decision was supported by improvements in MeCure’s competitive position, sound earnings performance, ongoing expansion, product innovation, and wider market penetration. GCR also noted the company’s diversified portfolio of more than 140 formulations across five therapeutic classes, its extensive distribution network, and its relationships with suppliers and technical partners.
During the period, MeCure also received Halal certification, reinforcing the company’s commitment to quality, compliance, and broader consumer accessibility. For the everyday consumer, Halal certification means that the certified products have been reviewed to ensure that their ingredients, sourcing, handling, and production processes comply with recognised Halal requirements. In practical terms, it gives Muslim consumers greater confidence that the medicines they use are permissible, while also providing an additional layer of assurance around transparency, product integrity, and manufacturing discipline.
The certification is expected to support trust among customers, healthcare professionals, distributors, and institutional partners, while strengthening MeCure’s positioning in markets where Halal-compliant products are an important consideration.
In June 2026, MeCure further expanded its product portfolio with the introduction of Fluconazole Capsules and EBU Suspension. Fluconazole Capsules add to the company’s antifungal offering, while EBU Suspension, an ibuprofen oral suspension, strengthens MeCure’s paediatric and family care range. The launches reflect the company’s continued focus on affordable, locally manufactured medicines across key therapeutic needs.
As MeCure enters the second half of 2026, the company said it remains focused on deepening local manufacturing, improving access to quality medicines, expanding its product pipeline, and delivering sustainable value to shareholders.
Author Profile

Latest entries
NewsJuly 15, 2026NGIJ Demands Independent Probe of Controversial PFIPC, Rejects Premature Exoneration
NewsJuly 1, 2026MeCure Industries Plc Closes H1 2026 with Stable BBB GCR Outlook, Halal Certification, Launches New Product
NewsJune 29, 2026Family Seeks Information on Missing Sergeant After Reported Drowning Incident at Seme Border
NewsJune 12, 2026June 12: Ajia Congratulates Tinubu, AbdulRazaq, Calls for Youth Inclusion and Grassroots Development
News
Family Seeks Information on Missing Sergeant After Reported Drowning Incident at Seme Border
Family Seeks Information on Missing Sergeant After Reported Drowning Incident at Seme Borde
By Usman Aliyu | June 27, 2026
Ajaka, Kogi State — The family of Sgt. Benjamin Etuh, a native of Ajaka in Igalamela/Odolu Local Government Area of Kogi State, has appealed to the public for information regarding his whereabouts following reports that he may have been involved in a drowning incident at the Seme Border area of Lagos State.
According to information available to the family, Sgt. Etuh, who was last known to be serving at the Seme Border Patrol, was reportedly involved in an incident on the water around the border community. However, relatives say they have not received any official confirmation regarding his condition or whereabouts.
The uncertainty surrounding the incident has left family members distressed and searching for answers. Efforts to contact the officer through his mobile phone numbers have also proved unsuccessful, as the lines have reportedly remained unreachable for several days.
Family sources expressed concern over the lack of verified information and appealed to the relevant authorities to provide clarity on the officer’s status. They also called on security agencies, colleagues, residents of the Seme Border area, and members of the public with any useful information to come forward.
Efforts by reporters to obtain official confirmation from the Ikeja Command were unsuccessful, as no response had been received at the time of filing this report.
As of the time of publication, there has been no official statement confirming Sgt. Benjamin Etuh’s whereabouts or condition. The family continues to appeal for credible information that may help establish the facts surrounding the incident.
Author Profile

Latest entries
NewsJuly 15, 2026NGIJ Demands Independent Probe of Controversial PFIPC, Rejects Premature Exoneration
NewsJuly 1, 2026MeCure Industries Plc Closes H1 2026 with Stable BBB GCR Outlook, Halal Certification, Launches New Product
NewsJune 29, 2026Family Seeks Information on Missing Sergeant After Reported Drowning Incident at Seme Border
NewsJune 12, 2026June 12: Ajia Congratulates Tinubu, AbdulRazaq, Calls for Youth Inclusion and Grassroots Development
