Public policy and other related matters arising in the context of global capitalist societies and Nigeria in particular ridicules the inanities of the above policy and the absence of political will to implement.
In 1978, the World Health Assembly under the auspices of the World Health organization championed the goal of achieving health for all citizens by the year stated above.
They knew too well that it will not be possible for the Third World to get rid of all forms of diseases and infirmities. Especially in the North where the people suspect Western drugs as “Haram”. Other parts of the country, the people resort to self medication, trado-agbo and placebo ( faith healing miracle).
As the policy slogan became a cliche and privatization, monetization of basic health services, the poor suffering masses are further driven further from access to medicare and other social services and welfare.
Today, as the political elites and state actors go on medical tourism, the poor across societal demography resort to all forms of escapism( illicit drugs, alcohol, gambling and entertainment).
To make worse a bad situation, government hospital health sector workers have down tools to press home their demands for salary adjustment among others that the government seems insensitive to since the past collective bargaining and strike actions.
Generation for Change Africa Initiative GFCAI admonishes the Minister of Health and the federal government to lead by example and respect the dignity of labour by meeting the demands of this care givers in a country where health services are the exclusive reserves of the rich.
- Comrade Alex Ameh Ogbu is an Abuja based Media Practitioner and a prolific writer that writes mostly from Akatekwe Kingdom. He can be reached via: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Features2018.11.08Spate of Killing Along The Benue Trough Across The North Central Part of Nigeria: Where is the Social Contract?
- Article2018.11.06The Nyanya Road Massacre: What are the Linkages and Lessons for the 6th November 2018 General Strike?
- Education2018.08.14Book Review: Devil’s Last Born
- News2018.07.24The Mockery of June 12 by Undemocratic Reactionaries in Nigeria