Cyperus esculentus which can simply be called “tiger nut” is one of nature’s super foods, they are not necessarily nuts but they are tubers that generate beneath the soil’s surface. Tiger nuts have a high nutritional value and they are also enriched in fibre.
They serve as a good resistance for starch, help prevent cardiovascular diseases and most importantly improve blood circulation.
Tiger nuts from time past have been sidelined, little or no attention has been given to this tuber, as this tuber contains so much nutrients and elements which can ensure a healthy life.
In some regions it is popularly called “Ofio”, “Aya” or “Chufas”, it can be eaten either fresh or dried. The juice content can also be extracted as milk and served as a drink.
Here is an easy step to extract its milk; Firstly you would be required to soak the dried tiger nut in enough water and to avoid any form of fermentation, you can place it in the refrigerator.
- Once ready, wash the already soaked nuts and remove the bad ones should the need arise.
- To strain the blended nuts, use a chiffon piece.
- Press and squeeze the chiffon piece together to extract the milk.
- You can add the shaft back in the blender with your desired amount of water then blend.
- (Repeat process of extraction).
– Tiger nut is a very rich source of dietary fiber.
– Milk derived from Tiger nut is a healthy alternative for cow milk which contains lactose intolerance.
– Tiger nuts are rich in potassium, this ensures maintaining proper regulation of muscle contraction, digestive functions and to control the blood pressure levels.
– Tiger nuts contain a reasonable amount of oleic acid, this helps increase your body HDL cholesterol.
– Tiger nut milk is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids which make it an excellent anti-diabetic agent as monounsaturated fatty acids boosts glycemic tolerance.
– Tiger nuts are used to treat stomach upsets, irritable bowels, and other digestive issues.
Afore mentioned are a few, as there are still other remarkable benefits of the Tiger nut.
Tiger nuts are whole foods and the inclusion in your regular diet is sure to help you stay healthy and fit. Get started now and see how your health gets even better!
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 908 6937 780 or send i-witness report directly to me on email@example.com.