OVER what they described as non-implementation of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), the people of Okoroma Clan in Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State has condemned military operation carried out in the area by men of the Joint Taskforce, Operation Delta Safe attached to Bama field, Agip facility.
The Chiefs and people of Okoroma Clan grievances is as a result of the refusal of the Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) to implement the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) entered with the communities.
This is contained in a statement signed by Okoroma Clan Council of Chief, Isam Joseph and Secretary, Morris Moses, made available to journalists in Yenagoa.
The statement condemned the arrest of some stakeholders in Okoroma Clan for contending with the Oil Multinational for failure to implement the MOU entered with the community.
Joseph noted that the international laws guiding oil companies and host communities condemn injustice, and threatened to drag Agip to the international court of justice for subjecting the host community to inhumane condition and impoverishing the community where it has generated a lot of economies.
He, therefore, called for the release of the Chairman of the Chief Council, Chief Kelly Iniefe Idumangor and others arrested on the rig for expressing resignation and grievances over the inhuman disposition of Agip and its refusal Okoroma communities.
’It is unacceptable, barbaric and absurd for the management of Agip to renege on development terms agreed as contained in the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), we will not blink until our demands are met,’’ Joseph said.
‘’No amount of military harassment would deter us from standing for what is right, or else oil company and its military partners should be ready to kill all of us.”
- Prince Abdulrahman Obaje is a Media and ICT Consultant, Journalist, online marketer, social media strategist, Mathematician and Computer Scientist based in Abuja, Nigeria. He is the Founder and the Publisher of The Informavores!. You can reach me on +234 908 6937 780 or send i-witness report directly to me on email@example.com.
- Metro2018.05.22Esu Jikwoyi Calls on FG to Intensify Drug Abuse Sensitization Efforts among Youths
- Food and Agriculture2018.05.21Farm Inputs: Gimbiya Dogara Empowers 7,000 Youths, Women in Bauchi
- Politics2018.05.19Congress: FCT APC Elects Executive Members Through Voice Vote
- AWF2018.05.19Abuja Writers Forum: Spanish Treat for May Guest Writer Session